Thursday, April 7, 2011

Welcome to my Blog!

I love the Adirondacks.  It's as simple as that.  My girlfriend tells her friends that if I could marry the Adirondacks, I would.  This state park in northern New York State is simply incredible - over 6 million acres (large enough to fit Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Glacier National Parks at the same time), 3,000 lakes, and 30,000 miles of rivers and streams, and yet just 130,000 year-round residents.  It wasn't until later in my life that I began to realize and appreciate how special this unique park is.  In 1892, New York State created the Adirondack Park, passing sweeping and revolutionary legislation stating that the preserve shall "forever be kept as wild forest lands".


I live in a little town at the southeastern border of the Park, just inside what they call the "blue line", the line delineating the Park's border.  As a boy, my involvement in the local 4-H Chapter gave me opportunities to canoe and hike in my six-million acre playground.  The first trip I remember taking was a rustic camping trip at 13th Lake, but I didn't explore the High Peaks area until after my freshmen year of college when some friends and I decided to summit Mount Marcy.  That trip made me fall head over heels for the 'dacks.  Never before had I seen water so clear, smelled air so pure, seen mountains so astute and majestic.  Since then, I've taken every opportunity I get to hike, canoe, kayak, bike, and cave the park.  In fact, I'm working on becoming an Adirondack 46-er, which is joined by summitting all 46 Peaks over 4,000 feet; I've done 20.

In this blog, I hope to bring you along on my excursions.  I want to share my experiences with you, and hopefully, some of my passion for this area will rub off.  Through it all, the Adirondacks and myself will remain Forever Wild.

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read more posts. Also, the font is borderline unreadable on Google Chrome but looks great on Firefox 4.0. http://bit.ly/evtXWt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has the makings of a GREAT outdoors blog. Let's see some of those 20 peaks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! do you think I should make a story or two about my previous High Peaks, or should I only make new posts in real time, as I actually hike the peaks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the blog Jeff! I recently moved away from the ADKs and your trip reports bring me right back! Hope you blog more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm going on a (sloppy and rainy) trip leavign tomorrow, so I'll be makign a post about that in the next few days. Love your blog, too, especially that post you did about Adirondack alcoholic beverages haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff,

    Here is another recipe I stumbled across the other day. VERY tempted to make this one:

    Whitewater Rushin'
    1 oz. Sapling Maple Liqueur
    1/2 oz. Amaretto
    1 oz. vanilla vodka
    2 oz. cream or milk
    Shake with ice or use a blender

    ReplyDelete